Orchard House, a listed building, was built as ‘Carlow House’ by Charles Augustus
Carlow, a Scottish mining magnate, being completed around 1890. He imported numerous trees
and shrubs to form the grounds and gardens, including a walled orchard, also ‘listed’.
He later gifted the house to the Fife Mining Industry as a respite home for injured
miners. As the mining industry flagged the house was taken over by Fife Council and became known as
Linnwood Hall, a residential school for children.
The property was subsequently acquired by Persimmon Homes who converted the House
into 10 apartments, 6 of which are accessed from the main front entrance.
Our Property is a 2 bedroom
apartment located on the 1st floor, on the west of the property and contains many original
features, including 12 foot high ceilings with ornate turreted cornicing. It is one of the
apartments accessed from the grand main entrance, leading initially into the entrance hall with its
mosaic flooring and antique fireplace. The entrance hall leads into the expansive inner hall
with its magnificent cathedral style staircase and spectacular ornate lead feature glass
Residents have private access to, and right to use, the grounds and walled